Lambertville is located on the Delaware River in the middle-western portion of New Jersey. During the 18th century, the area was named after various operators of ferries across the river to Pennsylvania, ultimately becoming known as Coryell’s Ferry, after its owner, Emanuel Coryell. Coryell’s Ferry was the western terminus of the New Jersey portion of the York Road connecting New York City and Philadelphia. The community was named Lambertville in 1814, when the post office was established, in honor of John Lambert, a local resident who had served as United States Senator and Acting Governor of New Jersey.
The Delaware River and the Delaware and Raritan Canal were instrumental in the prosperity of Lambertville. In June 1834, the opening of the canal was celebrated with a barge ride from Trenton to Lambertville. The canal’s completion was not without hardship. 4,000 Irish immigrants were hired to dig the canal with pick and shovel. During the construction, an epidemic of cholera broke out and dozens of men were buried along the banks of the canal and the Delaware River.
Lambertville currently has a population of about 4,000.